Wednesday, October 06, 2010

my combi

I think the bus I take to work has an attitude. For real. It's called "Nueva America" (at least by the girls at my office, not really sure why) and it's a lot bigger than most buses. It is a sleek color of grey with orange stripes that seem to symbolize speed and modernity. It has these flashy red lights that state it´s destination, unlike other cars that have them painted on. Nueva America is a rare one--it comes less frequently than the other combis out there. I feel like I see most past by almost every 5 minutes, but you can wait 15 minutes for a Nueva America. And it's worth it. Just when you are about to give up and hop on cualquier combi, the big grey and orange bus comes barreling through. And if you're lucky, it'll stop for you. Those flashy red lights come in handy--because it means you can see it from afar and prepare to flag it down. Most cobradores, as I mentioned in my combi post, lean out the door or window of the bus yelling various destinations to get people to get on the bus. The cobradores on Nueva America, on the other hand, lean back and just collect money from folks--there's no yelling out the door. The drivers are also a different breed--and not necessarily in the best way. They drive like they own the streets, even though they are actually sharing them with like 8 or 9 million other people. They definitely come close to hitting people. Yesterday morning this cab literally pulled in front of us when we were stopped, so we couldn't move. He got out of his car and came over to the bus driver's window and started asking if he had a licence, etc, and what made him think he could drive like that. Whoa. These bus drivers, too, they don't stop always when people are at a bus stop flagging them down! When I am already on the bus, headed to my destination, I don't mind that part of the "Bad Attitude" bus. Flying past bus stops acting like we don't need passengers. But when I am waiting for my bus to take me to work, I feel very differently. Come on, Nueva America, let me hop on your bad attitude, but just don't hurt anyone. I like your speed, but not your style to scare folks. Just get me to work in under an hour and a half and I'll be happy.
P.S. I think I spoke to soon about there just being one flea. I should know better. There is never just one flea.

1 comment:

NorthbyNorthWest said...

"Come on, Nueva America, let me hop on your bad attitude, but just don't hurt anyone. I like your speed, but not your style to scare folks. Just get me to work in under an hour and a half and I'll be happy."

I feel like this is a great analogy for the US of A...

Also sorry to hear you have fleas, Rudder feels for you even though he's never had them :)