Hola todos,
I am writing with goosebumps and layers on, while it seems everyone I know is baking in over 100 degree heat. I remember last week thinking I shouldn't complain about the heat because I was about to enter winter, but I didn't really believe it. The temperature isn't that low, but it's a chilly damp cold that makes it hard to ever be warm. Fortunately my apartment have hot water.
I arrived in Lima yesterday at about 5 am. It felt quite odd to drive through a city that was totally asleep. A city that seems so huge, but soon I will know at least a small corner of it. One of the volunteers woke up to welcome me, which was sweet. In the afternoon I was driven from the Lima office out to the Carabayllo office--it was very exciting. For anyone who has read Mountains Beyond Mountains, you might remember Carabayllo as the part of Lima where Father Jack, Paul, Jim, and Jaime began Socios en Salud. It was almost an hour ride from one part of the city to the other. Passing packed streets, stores, the central plaza, a river, and hills covered in houses recently built by immigrants from the provincia.
Today I met with a nurse and psychiatrist who I will work with. There is a support group for patients who are on MDR-TB medicine, but the data and information isn't organized. So I think that's what I am going to help with. Still not sure though. Today I also met Jaime and the sociologist who hired me. I am eager to work more with her on a project past Carabayllo in the rural area north of Lima.
Dinner is supposed to be lunch in a tupperware left for us to reheat. I was happily surprised by leftovers from another meal that included rice, tomatoes, chicken, and french fries. French fries mixed in with dinner is amazing. I also got to drink coca tea. It's nice to enjoy drinking it, since I never wanted to use the teabags I brought home from Bolivia for fear of finishing them.
A note about the last post: I've been told that maybe 80% of mail will get to me. Just in case anyone was planning on sending jewels or your favorite T-shirt. Thank you for all the welcoming emails! If anyone has Skype or wants to talk for free, download it and let me know!
2 comments:
Hola Chloe!
I know of a guy who is doing Peace Crops in Peru and also has a blog. His name is Matt and here is his website:
http://mypeacecorps.blogspot.com/
Maybe he might have helpful tips and fun stories to share.
Ojala cuando regreses hablamos solo en espanol!
Besos y abrazos,
Marcelo
Chloe! Keep warm down there; we finally got some relief from the heat as yesterday afternoon was actually quite pleasant. I do have ISight on my computer so we must set up a chat soon. I have just been using ichat; will that work for you or do I need to get this other crazy 'skype' you speak of? :) Congrats on a nice lengthy blog post!
Post a Comment