Monday, September 11, 2006

non-biomedicine services are not far away

I was just taking a break from my morning work to eat an apple and read the NY Times headlines. As I was reading an article about the scene today at ground zero, I was feeling more shaken by it than I expected I would. If I was in the U.S. today I would probably be really aware that today marks 5 years since 9/11, but here the day goes just like any other day. So I finished my apple and started to walk to the kitchen where I could throw it away and wash my hands. To get to the kitchen, you have to walk down a few steps out of the enfermeria, into a little lobby, down a set of stairs that do not have a roof covering, and then into the kitchen. As I was walking down the outside stairs I passed Aurora, a woman who cleans the office. Right as I was passing her, I slipped down the rest of the stairs. In my defense, they were wet, they have slippery linoleum covering, and my shoes don't have much traction. A doctor and Aurora began asking me if I was okay. Although my butt hurt, I knew I was fine, just shaken. Aurora was worried and took me aside and started rubbing where I fell. That sounds like it should feel violating, but it just felt like a mother taking care of her kid without shame. I think she was saying that in order for it not to bruise, she was rubbing it. Or something like that. (I am finishing this on Tuesday, a day after, with a big bruise...sorry Aurura) By the time I got back to my desk, I was feeling pretty vulnerable (reading about 9/11, falling down stairs). Later when Aurora walked by I told her that I was fine, just shocked still from the fall. Really I think I just wanted to go cry for a second. She said that she could use an egg to get rid of the fear. I remember hearing that in Bolivia too. They pass it over your body, then put it in a glass of water. I forget what else. The egg treatment never occurred, but I really loved the presence of traditional medicine in an ostensibly biomedical institution.

Despite the slip, yesterday was a good day.

Hope everyone is well,
Chloe

No comments: