Last week was probably my best week at work so far. I helped organize a big meeting with 6 psychiatrists and 5 nurses. There was a lot of photocopying, powerpointing, formatting, and I think it all went relatively smoothly. We held the meeting in a fancy restaurant that served everyone a pisco sour, so that maybe helped the discussion. Many of the nurses told me that they thought I did a great job putting it together after they had seen me scrambling around to make the doctors' last minute requests come true. Since I frequently feel like the nurses around me don't know what I am doing, it was nice to get that recognition. I sat between doctors at a fancy table, eating good food, trying desperately to follow conversation, but mostly just feeling quite content that we all made it, including Mr. Powerpoint. It was a good bonding experience for my superiors and I. The next morning unfortunately it all began to unfold, but it wasn't a big deal. I think it's a sign that I am getting more comfortable here if I can easily admit mistakes knowing that it's okay. I was asked to write a summary of the night and what was discussed, so I had to admit that after we went through what was on the agenda I stopped being able to follow the discussion. We also realized quickly that a disc and the list of people who came had gone missing. Fortunately we have found them all now and have recovered from the late night meeting.
I realized I haven't really explained the project that I am working on yet. Probably because until recently I wasn't quite sure what the project is. While I am still feeling like I don't know exactly what they want me to do, over the last 2 weeks I have gotten a much better grasp of the project. The psychiatrists that I work with treat patients who are on the treatment for MDR TB, which is a really difficult treatment for many reasons. The treatment lasts at least 24 months, involves taking medication (including an injection) multiple times a day, with lots of really awful side effects (physical and psychological). On top of that, patients also have to deal with the stigma of the disease and the fact that it is really contagious (many people's family members die from it, so getting rid of guilt is a frequent theme of discussion). If the medication isn't helping the patient get better, then the last choice is an operation and restarting the 24 month regimen. Years ago Socios started a group therapy program for patients struggling with the psycho-social aspects of the disease. Many people come from outside of Lima for the treatment, so it's a good environment for them to get support. Because the side effects are so extreme, people use the group for support in continuing taking the pills and injections. The group therapy is now happening all across Lima. One hope they have for me, is to help monitor how the groups in different parts of the city are going and uniformize them. Right now a Socios psychiatrist, nurse, and promotora organize and run the groups, but hopefully they will become a part of a clinic's treatment of MDR TB. Anyway, that is a little of what I am doing. It continues to be challenging and interesting, which is why I came here.
Outside of work: We have a new volunteer who came this last weekend. She is an epidemiologist which is pretty awesome. So she is teaching me a little about statistics since I know nothing, but hope to help them organize data for a study on the group therapy program. We have been having a lot of fun with Carlos's coworkers from the Salud Infantil program. Discotecas in Lima are open all night, and it is not unusual for people to be out dancing till 5 am. Last Saturday we celebrated the birthday of one of our friend's from Salud Infantil at a boulevard of discotecas. The night ended at a karaoke bar at 4 am, where half of us were asleep, the other half trying to sing.
I hope everyone is well! Thanks for reading. I am open to any comments or suggestions about the blog.
3 comments:
COMMENT:
peru/shmeru.
you're missed.
i agree. you can tell you know lots of cool peeps when youve got more than 1 laura posting... i am glad that things continue to improve.
It's so nice to hear about all of your adventures. I'll send you a real email soon!
Post a Comment