Friday, October 20, 2006

mi primer temblor

So I woke up a little before 6am this morning to our apartment shaking! We live on the 2nd floor of a 7 story apartment building. It felt like I was in a jenga tower about to fall. I wasn't actually that scared, which is maybe my "stay calm in emergencies" mechanism working too hard. I couldn't find any reports of the earthquake on the news outside of Lima, but I did get a email from gg asking about it. The Peruvian news report says that it was 6.4 on the Richter scale. There are no deaths reported and just minimal damage near the epicenter, which was hours away from Lima. Anyway, I don't really know any more details than that, but it sure was a surprising way to wake up. The only other earthquake I remember feeling was a few years ago at Skidmore. It's kind of scary to think about being right on an active fault line. The pulses of the earthquake were so even and forceful that I kept thinking maybe it was just the construction next door.

Collin's thoughts during the "tremor:"

Thought 1: Oh, an earthquake.
Thought 2: Wait, they don't have earthquakes here [they do actually, Collin], our neighbors must be having sex.
Thought 3: Wow, they must be big individuals our walls are moving.
Thought 4: OK, good, it stopped.

Collin is one of my roommates/co-volunteers. Also, on CNN tonight the banner at the bottom of the screen reported our little earthquake, which made us proud.

No comments: