Monday, February 12, 2007

fieldtrip pictures

So a couple weekends ago Socios organized a fieldtrip for the volunteers and other coworkers who wanted to come. It was a packed day of eating breakfast at roadside place serving only pig products (not so good for our Jewish volunteer Collin,) a stop at a beautiful little beach town Cerro Azul where Peruvian's world champion female surfer grew up, a boat trip around the Islas Bellestas (the main event of the trip,) and a short tour of a couple wineries (where we really just got fed a whole lot of sweet wine and pisco, and didn't learn much about the wineries.) A fun day indeed. Anyway, here are some photos:

Here's a shot from the beach at Cerro Azul.














A baby sea lion hanging out next to our boat! The sea lions were really amazing. I guess babies start going out in the ocean alone when they are 6 months old. Big fat sea lions were just draped all over the rocks.










Sea lions congregated on the island. In the shade there were heaps of sea lions all on top of each other barking and yelling all sorts of things. I guess the mom's are all yelling out to their kids. A frequent reason why babies die is from being squished by their parents. Poor little guys.











The islands themselves were completely covered in birds of all kinds just crammed in and pooping. They export the guana, which gives the trip around the islands a distinct smell. There were pelicans, penguins (my favorite!) and all sorts of birds that I don't remember the names of.

1 comment:

ann said...

I learned about the exporting of guana from the coast of Peru so many years ago--I'm glad you got to observe it!! Totally bizarre--to think it occurs in such quantity that it's worth harvesting and shipping. And you got to see penguins! yay! Not Antartica, but close!