I moved to the Sacred Valley of the Incas (the formal name) on December 31st, and feel like I have been running around crazy ever since. I'm working for an NGO called ProPeru that's based in Urubamba, which is the biggest city in the Sacred Valley. Prior to living here, I would always just pass through Urubamba on my way to Ollantaytambo. I think I really kind of thought that Urubamba just had a bus station, a gas station, and a lot of volunteers living here. I've come to really love Urubamba, despite the fact that we are in the time of Carnaval which means all the little boys are throwing water balloons or buckets of water at me. It feels like a real town, whereas Cusco feels really touristy. It doesn't have the same magical mysteriousness that Ollanta has with its Inca wall super straight sidewalks. But it has a glacier named Chicon looking over us, a huge market every Wednesday and Friday, beautiful hikes or bike rides just from the town plaza, and awesome fried chicken. I'm going to try and start posting more. But that's the brief update. I have longer hair, more freckles, a new little backpack and vest that my mom gave me for Christmas that I wear everyday, and am happy with my mountains around me.
Welcome back! I'm back in Peru -- doing two projects for school and filling myself daily with la comida peruana. I'm going to try to use this space to share some stories, thoughts, and ideas. Thanks for stopping by.
Friday, February 08, 2008
my life in the valley
I moved to the Sacred Valley of the Incas (the formal name) on December 31st, and feel like I have been running around crazy ever since. I'm working for an NGO called ProPeru that's based in Urubamba, which is the biggest city in the Sacred Valley. Prior to living here, I would always just pass through Urubamba on my way to Ollantaytambo. I think I really kind of thought that Urubamba just had a bus station, a gas station, and a lot of volunteers living here. I've come to really love Urubamba, despite the fact that we are in the time of Carnaval which means all the little boys are throwing water balloons or buckets of water at me. It feels like a real town, whereas Cusco feels really touristy. It doesn't have the same magical mysteriousness that Ollanta has with its Inca wall super straight sidewalks. But it has a glacier named Chicon looking over us, a huge market every Wednesday and Friday, beautiful hikes or bike rides just from the town plaza, and awesome fried chicken. I'm going to try and start posting more. But that's the brief update. I have longer hair, more freckles, a new little backpack and vest that my mom gave me for Christmas that I wear everyday, and am happy with my mountains around me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment