Tuesday, October 05, 2010

honest to blog

True to the namesake of the blog, fleas have been a big part of my life in, well, a few different countries. And recently at least one flea has come back to me. I am living now in a nicer part of Lima, so it's ironic that I'm getting flea bites in my bed here rather than when I was living in the poor/really dusty part of town where sometimes it looked like there were more dogs on the streets than people. It started with one bite on my ankle. Then another. Now 2 on my waist-line, which in my mind is the tell-tale sign of fleas. So I went to the grocery store to get this powder that Dan used to put in his sleeping bag in Urubamba. I asked the guy at the fancy grocery store if they had "bolfo" and he was like "oh, for dogs?" To which I could've just said, "Um, yes." But instead I said, "Um, no, for, you know, where fleas are." Anyhow, I pulled back the covers to sprinkle the sheets with the toxic powder and saw a flea just meandering across the sheets. For those who have flea experience, you know it's not that common to actually see the little guys. They're also pretty quick. So I was super surprised when I just reached over and grabbed the dude. Makes me think maybe there really was just one flea in the bed, and by now he was so filled with my blood that he couldn't jump anymore. I still sprinkled my sheets before I got into bed. No new bites this morning. Good sign.

2 comments:

cecilia said...

funny, i haven't seen any ants since you left Seattle . . .

Unknown said...

Mmmm, on second thought, maybe I'll take the couch when I arrive after all....