This week started out strong. I had a good conversation with a coworker who I don't work directly with, in fact we work in different offices, but we're close friends. She offered good advice on how I can go about my work. I told her that I knew there were some projects that people had wanted me to help get done, but they had been put aside when more urgent projects came up. So in a New Year's kind of way, I made a list of them and ideas on how to complete the projects. Then I told my coworker that I was just waiting to meet with the nurses to go over it. She said, Chloe, why wait? Just start them. I said, well, yes, but I might need help from other people. She said, Chloe, then ask those people for help. I suddenly realized how I had been pretty blind in thinking that the nurses I work for have to confirm and approve and be a part of every step I do here. They are busy nurses and want me here to get those projects done, without involving them too much. Obviously when it comes to actually putting something into action, I need to check in with them. Anyway, after my coworker told me that I started feeling really motivated and began the next day on the projects. But now I have finished a few steps and temporarily misplaced my motivation. It is harder when I am not working with people to show me that this is what they want, get that constant praise, or at least attention.
When I had my surf lesons in Mancora with Meggie, the first day a younger guy was teaching me. He was constantly paying attention to what I was doing, praising me for little improvements, and I was eager to get better (and hear more praise?) The next day a slightly older, more distracted guy was teaching me and kept repeating the steps necessary to stand up. He tried the tough love approach saying, look, your friend is standing up. (nice work, meggie!) My lesson with him left me less excited and less confident about surfing. But with the first guy was I really excited about standing up or about getting praise from other people?
Anyway, some how that story came into my head after thinking about my work here this week with Socios. Like how sometimes I think I focus too much on the little things and lose sight of the end goal. Standing up on the surf board!
No comments:
Post a Comment