Saturday, January 06, 2007

okay okay, i'm back

Feliz año nuevo!

I had a great break. Started with showing Meggie around Lima, my work, and spending a few days with her at a beautiful beach town. The beach life is something I don't think I could do on a permanent basis, but it was a totally awesome break for a few days. Although I admit it took me a day to learn that at the beach you really have no obligations. Except to put sunblock on every hour.

Boston was wonderful. A quick trip that felt like a long one where I recharged my battery with lots of Christmas cookies, homemade food, winter-themed drinks with friends, and a visit to New York. At some point this past week I remembered that I have a job here in Lima which I had forgotten about in my short return to my life from 5 months ago.

Now that I am back home in Lima, I also have to remind myself about my job here. After finishing projects, it's right back to the challenging beginning in terms of figuring out how to be part of the work that goes on here. Since the last few months here went by so fast, I want to make sure that I don't let the rest (7 months?) pass by without doing what's on my mind. It's a difficult balance of assertiveness, creativity, and passiveness that I need to find. I need to remember that I have shown my colleagues and supervisors that I am capable and trustworthy, so that allows me to be a little more assertive. But I also need to constantely make sure I am not overstepping my boundaries. I have thought of a couple concrete goals which I will work on here. Starting with going back to all the little projects one of my busy supervisors started with me, but got left behind when more urgent ones came up.

In Peru at midnight on New Year's Eve they eat 12 grapes, with each grape making a wish for the New Year. I don't understand the symbolism of the grapes, but I like the idea of making wishes. This year I am also into doable resolutions, so I can constantly feel good about myself instead of feeling worse when I don't complete them.

No comments: